Dr. Dan Luo is an architect with strong computer science background. She has a Ph.D in digital design and fabrication from Tsinghua University School of Architecture ( 2019), a Master of Architecture from Columbia University (2014) and a Bachelor of Art from The University of Hong Kong (2010). She studied Computer science in Zhejiang University before transferring to HKU, and is currently in process of completing the Master of Computer and Information Technology from Universit y of Pennsylvania. Her research interest encompasses a variety of different topics from robotic, artificial intelligence, material computation to human centric collaborative fabrication with VR/AR . It is her research vision to utilize emerging technology t o enhance our ability to understand, design and interact with space information and material. She led independent workshops in multiple universities in China with topics ranging from customizing digital design interfaces, interactive design, AR/VR, roboti c, to machine learning since 2014.
As a practicing architect she has worked for UN Studio during 2011 – 201 2 where she contributed on multiple competitions and commissioned project. In the Past, her design works have been featured in exhibitions such as Milan Triennial . She had been exhibition designer for exhi bitions in Architecture Center NY and The China Millennium Monument . She worked as the director of international collaboration for China Building Center since 2014, where the main responsibility is curating international competitions as well as education programs for institutions, developers and government
2021 Best Presentation, International Manufacturing Forum Series
2019 GSAPP Incubator Prize, Columbia University
2019 DigitalFUTURES Digital Young Award
- Liu Jie, Dan Luo, Xinyi Fu, Qi Lu and Yixin Karen Kang, Chapter – Design Strategy of Multimodal Perception System for Smart Environment, Internet of Things and Machine Learning: Applications for Smart Cities and Smart Environments – Submitted
- Ya Ou, Ding-Wen Bao, Guan-Qi Zhu and Dan Luo. Additive fabrication of large-scale customizable formwork using robotic FRP winding. 3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing (accepted)
- Bala Murali Kumar B, Yun Chung Hsueh, Zhuoyang Xin and Dan Luo, Process and Evaluation of Automated Robotic Fabrication System for In-Situ Structure Confinement, Proceedings of the 2021 DigitalFUTURES – The 3rd International Conference on Computational Design and Robotic Fabrication (CDRF 2021) – Accepted
- Xinjie Zhou, Xiang Wang, Dan Luo and Philip F. Yuan. Pattern recognition and prediction of bending-active thin sheets via artificial neural networks, Proceedings of the IASS annual symposium 2020/1 and the 7th International Conference on Spatial Structures (accepted)
- Dan Luo, Joseph M. Gattas and Poah Shiun Shawn Tan(2021). Real-time defect recognition and optimized decision making for structural timber jointing. 2nd International Conference on Computational Design and Robotic Fabrication (CDRF 2020), Shanghai, China, 5 July, 2020. Singapore: Springer Singapore. doi: 1007/978-981-33-4400-6_4
- Guan-Qi Zhu, Ya Ou, Dingwen Bao and Dan Luo(2021). Robotic weaving of customizable FRP formworks for large-scale optimized structure. Hong Kong, China. 26th International Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia, CAADRIA 2021, 29 March. Hong Kong, China: The Association for Computer Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA)
- Dan Luo and Lei Yu(2021). ‘From Factory to Site—Designing for Industrial Robots Used in On-Site. Automating cities: Design, construction, operation, and future impact. Advances in 21st Century Human Settlements. Singapore: Springer Singapore, (87-109). doi: 1007/978-981-15-8670-5_4
- Dan Luo and Weiguo Xu(2021). Adaptable method for dynamic planning of 3D spatial wireframes extrusion with neural networks and robotic automation. 3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing, 1-13. doi: 1089/3dp.2020.0176
- Dan Luo, Dechen Chen, Jingsong Wang, Guanqi Zhu and Weiguo Xu(2020). The smart robot crafting approach to computing materials. Construction Robotics, 4 (3-4), 239-249. doi: 1007/s41693-020-00040-x
- Weiguo Xu, Dan Luo and Gao Yuan (2019). Automatic brick masonry system and its application in on-site construction. 24th International Conference on Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia: Intelligent and Informed, CAADRIA 2019, Wellington, New Zealand, 15-18 April 2019. Hong Kong: Association for Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA).
- Dechen Chen, Dan Luo, Weiguo Xu, Chen Luo, Xia Yan, Liren Shen, and Tianjun Wang (2019). Re-perceive 3D printing with Artificial Intelligence. Education and Research in Computer Aided Architectural Design in Europe and XXIII Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics, Joint Conference, Porto, Portugal, 11-13 September 2019. São Paulo, Brazil: Editora Blucher. doi: 10.5151/proceedings-ecaadesigradi2019_034
- Dan Luo, Dechen Chen, Weiguo Xu (2019). A machine learning approach to establish a novel 3D printing method with PLA, 22nd International Conference on Advances in Material and Processing Technologies.
- 罗丹，徐卫国. 一种基于机器智能的材料编程方法[J], 建筑技艺，2019(09)
- Lei Yu, Dan Luo, and Weiguo Xu(2018). Dynamic robotic slip-form casting and eco-friendly building façade design. Robotic Fabrication in Architecture, Art and Design 2018. (pp. 421-433) Cham, Switzerland: Springer International Publishing. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-92294-2_32
- Lei Yu, and Dan Luo (2018). Mesh optimisation for spatial wireframe robotic 3D printing. International Journal of Rapid Manufacturing, 7 (2/3), 169-185. doi: 10.1504/IJRAPIDM.2018.092904
- Dan Luo, Jingsong Wang and Weiguo Xu(2018). Applied automatic machine learning process for material computation. International Conference on Education and Research in Computer Aided Architectural Design in Europe, Lodz, Poland, 17-21 September 2018. Lodz, Poland: eCAADe and Faculty of Civil Engineering, Architecture and Environmental Engineering, Lodz University of Technology.
- Jie Liu, Hongtao Ma, Ning Tang, Weiguo Xu and Dan Luo (2018). Kinetair: Interactive stairs with multiple functions. Conference on Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia, Beijing, China, 17-19 May 2018. Hong Kong: The Association for Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA).
- Dan Luo, Jinsong Wang and Weiguo Xu(2018). Robotic automatic generation of performance model for non-uniform linear material via deep learning. CAADRIA 2018 – 23rd International Conference on Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia: Learning, Prototyping and Adapting, Beijing, China, 17-19 May 2018. Hong Kong: Association for Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA).
- Pengyu Zhang, Weiguo Xu, Weixin Huang, Yufeng Zhu, Rui Dai and Luo, Dan (2017). Generative design based on sponge spicules’ forms. International Conference of the Association for Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA), Suzhou, China, 5-8 April 2017. Hong Kong: The Association for Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA).
- 罗丹，增强现实技术在建造施工中的应用探索[J] . 建筑技艺，2017(09): 40-42
- 罗丹，徐卫国. 虚拟现实与建筑实践[J] . 建筑技艺，2017(09): 36-38
- 罗丹，徐卫国. 参数化砖墙的实际新型建造方法研究[J], 建筑技艺，2017(07):110-112